Refresher Course Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I complete my clinicals in another state?
Answer: No, you may complete Phase 1 (the online portion) from anywhere, but the clinicals must be completed in Colorado if you are reinstating/endorsing your license in Colorado. If you are an out of state student, the Professional Education Team will work with the state you wish to seek reinstatement/endorsement.
- Do you have suggestions about where to look for a clinical site?
Answer: We can provide a list of facilities with whom THEARI has Education Contract Agreements to help you find a clinical placement. If you know of a facility that will allow you to complete your clinicals and provide a preceptor, and we do not have a current contract with that facility, we will work to create one.
- Who must sign the preceptor form?
Answer: The preceptor form is signed by the preceptor, the facility (DON), you, and the THEARI Professional Education Manager.
- Where can I find the preceptor agreement?
Answer: Module 5 (RN), Module 6 (LPN) or the DORA website (search for the “Competency to Practice” form). Remember you will need to obtain a temporary, restricted Colorado license to go into the clinical area. An out of state license or lapsed license is not valid for practice in Colorado and the State Board of Nursing will take disciplinary action if you ignore this. After the preceptor information and Certification of Completion of Phase 1 is submitted to the SBON by THEARI, it can take up to two weeks to get the temporary license.
- Does CCAHEC check the quizzes online?
Answer: Only the HIPAA and Drug Calculations quizzes are graded. The quizzes are designed to offer you an opportunity to practice and apply your knowledge. You may take each quiz as many times as you need. If you get scholarship money from your local workforce center, they may require regular progress reports to document your progress. Each quiz shows progress toward completion of the program.
- Can I retake the final if I fail?
Answer: No, you may take the final exam one time. If you want to repeat the final exam you must register for the course again, pay half tuition, and speak to the Professional Education Team.
- If I fail the precepted clinical, what happens?
Answer: It depends on why you failed the clinical portion. If you made a dangerous mistake on the floor, you may not be able to repeat the clinical. If the clinical setting is a more complex and acute area than you prefer to work (such as the intensive care unit), you could possibly find another clinical location. It depends on the situation and the preceptor’s recommendation. Each situation will be evaluated separately.
- How long does the course take?
Answer: The course is designed to be an independent, self-paced program. Your login is good for one year. You may request a six-month extension if needed. We realize life happens and different circumstances may rise unexpectedly. We will evaluate each request and grant a six-month extension, if necessary, for a total time frame of eighteen months. Expect the clinical to take additional time- it sometimes takes time to find a clinical site. We are here to support you and want you to finish and be successful.
- Do I have to take the final exam in Denver?
Answer: No, you do not have to come into the THEARI office. The final exam is avaible online. If you prefer a written exam, we can mail the test to a proctor at a local community college, testing center, or a library near you.
- Do I have to pay for the course in one payment?
Answer: No, we offer a payment plan through our office or you can contact your local workforce center to find out if you are eligible for financial assistance. If you would like to set up a payment plan, select that option on the registration page. THEARI will contact you upon registration if you need assistance. After payment arrangements are made, you will be connected with the Professional Education Coordinator to obtain your login information.
- What does the payment cover?
Answer: The payment covers the access to our Learning Management System platforms: Moodle and Evolve and the logins. Additionally, students are responsible for purchasing the required textbook and the cost of completing the clinical prerequisites prior to beginning Phase 2.
- How long does it take to schedule clinical placement?
Answer: Clinical placement is estimated to take at least four to six weeks.
- Can I use the e-book instead of the required textbook?
Answer: Yes, THEARI allows students to purchase the e-book in lieu of the hard cover text for the refresher program. The e-book can be accessed on the Safe Exam Browser when taking the final exam.
Moodle LMS Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a Learning Management System (LMS) or Learning Platform?
A Learning Management System is a software application to implement eLearning and deliver education through online training. CCAHEC uses the LMS to create and deliver content, monitor student progress and asses student performance.
- What are the benefits of using an LMS?
An LMS offers the benefits of saving money, ease of use, instant access, and organization.
- What do I do if I lose my log in or password information?
Please contact CCAHEC for support at 720-535-1684 or email@example.com.
- Do I need access to the internet? Is there an app for my tablet or phone?
Yes, you will need an internet connection to take this course. You may use a tablet, cellular device or any computer to access Moodle and Evolve.
- What are the office hours for CCAHEC?
The Professional Education Team can be reached for questions and technical support via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at 720-535-1684 on Mondays 10:00-12:00pm and Thursdays 1:30-3:30 or at an agreed upon date and time via phone or video conference. The professional education team will get back to you as soon as possible, within two business days.
- Where do I go to enter my log in and password information? What happens next?
The Professional Education Team will send the invitation to the course within 1-3 business days via email. The email will provide access to both Moodle and Evolve. Your next step is to review the Syllabus and Course Information found in Moodle.
- Where do I find Phase 2 documents?
Phase 2 documents are found in the last module of the Refresher course. You may also email email@example.com and we will provide you with more information on where to find the documents.
- Have I completed all requirements to take the Final Exam?
If you have completed all required Case Studies and the required quizzes (HIPAA and Drug Calc. Exam) with an 80% or better, you may contact the Professional Education Team to set up a time to take the Final Exam at the CCAHEC office or you may find a remote site to proctor the Final Exam. You will find your completion grades on the left-hand side of Evolve and Moodle. If there are any questions, contact CCAHEC.
- How do I access Evolve from Moodle?
Evolve is accessed in Moodle at the top of the course. Click the Evolve link and enter in the Access Code provided in the email sent to you.
- What are the minimum requirements to access the course?
This course requires access to a computer or device with the following:
- Operating system – Windows 7, Windows 10, Mac OS Sierra
- Internet speed – Broadband connection
- Web browser – For best experience use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Edge (Internet Explorer is not recommended). Please ensure you have downloaded the most recent security updates.
- Some resources may require Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) and/or Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or equivalent.