Do you remember why you became a nurse?
Are you ready to go back to clinical nursing and/or want to reinstate your license but feel you don’t have the time?
Do you need flexibility and enough time to complete the course?
Do you need a refresher and update on the latest evidence-based practices in current nursing care and science?
New Opportunity: Complete Clinical Hours Virtually
During the October 2020 rule making meeting of the State Board of Nursing, the Board formally changed the permanent rules to allow RN and LPN Refresher students to complete up to 50% of their requisite clinical hours via simulation in lieu of in person clinicals. During the Governor's emergency orders, the Board has temporarily expanded these rules to allow Refresher students to complete up to 100% of their requisite clinical hours via simulation. Check back often for continued updates.
Be well, Kathleen and Brittany (Professional Education Team)
Central Colorado AHEC is a State leader in online RN Refresher education!
- The RN Refresher course is based on and approved by the Colorado State Board of Nursing requirements for a non-traditional program.
- Course is divided into modules and is self-paced, allowing you to set a schedule that works for you. You have a full year to complete the course!
- Phase I includes didactic material and the NovEx virtual clinical simulation program to provide refresher students with “pre-hospital” practice scenarios.
- Modules include additional learning activities and resources to complement the theory content.
- Phase II comprises the clinical – program staff can assist you in finding a clinical site near you- no need to travel to downtown Denver. The precepted clinical is comprised of 120 hours of practice in a clinical setting. Clinical hours can be completed virtually, in-person, or a combination of both.
- The Professional Education Team is available to support your learning through discussion boards, web, email, phone, texting, and fax! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Follow the steps below to get started today!
Not required to take the refresher course but want to refresh your skills?
Nurses in any state who aren't required to take the refresher course but would like to participate in a virtual simulation experience can sign up now. Strengthen your clinical skills in a safe setting from the comfort of your home. All you need is broadband internet and a modern browser!
You will have 12 months from when you received your logins to finish phase 1 and phase 2 of the course.
Online Programs Used:
Moodle: The Moodle Learning Management System hosts the Phase One, theory portion of the course. The course is designed to develop and strengthen critical thinking skills and the four modules include assigned readings, interactive case studies, additional resources, and self-tests.
NovEx: NovEx virtual simulation (v-sim) is an asynchronous online case-based learning experience. V-sim is integrated throughout the RN Refresher modules which allows students to practice and demonstrate required competencies and best practices required for re-licensure. Learn more about NovEx here.
Course modules include:
- Module One - Current Concepts in Nursing Theory
- Module Two - Therapeutic Advances
- Module Three - Systems Review and Current Trends (includes NovEx v-sim)
- Module Four - Contemporary Issues
- Module Five - Clinical Practicum
Before the Course
Complete the following:
Estimated Cost $130.00
Register for Course
Register for Virtual Simulation
Cost of Virtual Simulation without Refresher Course: $750.00
After the Exam
After passing the exam, you will need to complete the following:
Colorado State Board of Nursing Fingerprint Background Check
Price determined by fingerprinting agency.
CCAHEC Drug Screen and Background Check (Only if participating in in-person clinicals)
Drug Screen Cost: $40.00
Background Check Cost: $40.00 minimum (varies based on student information)
Required Documents/Information (Only if participating in in-person clinicals)
For your security, do not send these items via regular email. Please contact us to have them delivered securely.
Copy of previous license
Proof of professional liability insurance
Proof of current BLS
Proof of current immunizations:
- Hepatitis B
- Chicken Pox or Titer
- Flu Vaccine
- Polio if required by clinical site
Proof of current TB test
- 5+ years expired/inactive - Contact Hours: 120 Theory and 120 Clinical*
*The State Board of Nursing may require additional hours as determined by the Board on a case-by-case basis.
Brush Up On Your Skills
Do you need to brush up on your skills?
Platt College, School of Nursing offers an additional skills lab/simulation experience for refresher students enrolled in the CCAHEC online course. It will be created for the student and can be 1-3 days in length.