Shape this meat loaf the night before and refrigerate- then pop it in the cooker the next morning.
1 8-ounce can pizza sauce
1 beaten egg
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped green sweet pepper
⅓ cup fine dry seasoned bread crumbs
½ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- Reserve ⅓ cup pizza sauce; cover and chill. In a medium mixing bowl combine remaining pizza sauce and egg. Stir in onion, green sweet pepper, bread crumbs, garlic salt and pepper. Add ground beef and mix well.
- On a sheet of foil, shape a 6-inch round meat loaf. Lift and transfer meat and foil to the slow cooker. Press meat away from sides of the cooker to avoid burning.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 ½ to 4 ½ hours (or to 170 degrees internal temperature).
- Spread meat with the reserved ⅓ cup pizza sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover cooker and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Carefully lift meat loaf with foil and transfer to a serving plate; discard the foil.